Private Traditional Gastronomy Lesson at Waroeng Djawa
Day Trips & Excursions
Immerse yourself in the flavors, savors, and culinary identity of Bali with this food-focused experience. Visit a bustling market to see traditional ingredients and fresh produce, and then venture to a locally loved eatery for a hands-on lesson in preparing authentic Javanese cuisine.
After you’re picked up from your hotel, ride to the Hotel Tugu Bali and meet your guide for the day, an elderly Indonesian chef who has spent a lifetime honing her cooking skills and knowledge since the age of 4, when she first learned to cook alongside her grandmother. Review the menu options for the day and make choices as to which dishes you’d like to prepare.
Equipped with your grocery list, head to the nearby market, where you can soak up the energy of Balinese daily life. Shop for colorful produce, fragrant herbs, and flavorful spices—all key components of the cuisine in this archipelago once known as the Spice Islands.
From there, make your way into the kitchen at Waroeng Djawa, a street-side eatery that’s emblematic of the way the Javanese and Balinese have eaten since the 16th century. Learn about dining customs from the time of the Majapahit Kingdom and see how food has traditionally been prepared with wood-fired steamers, terracotta stoves, oil lamps, and stone grinders. Then, roll up your sleeves as you chop and cook alongside your teacher. After the class, gather around the table on antique wooden benches to feast on the fruits of your labor local-style, with your hands.Read More
- Quad or Buggy Driving Adventure & Tubing Excursion
- Royal Mengwi Temple, Monkey Forest & Tanah Lot Excursion
- Bali Hai Sunset Dinner Cruise
- Devdan Show: Treasure of the Archipelago at Bali Nusa Dua Theatre
- Lembongan Island Leisure Day Trip
- Elephant Safari Park & Elephant Ride with Spa
- Highlights Of Bali Full-Day Tour
- Sunset Kecak Dance at Uluwatu & Barbecue Seafood Dinner
- Seawalker, Fly Fish Adventure & Underwater Tandem Scooter Ride
- 2-Day Lombok Island Tour