Warung Mak Beng is a small but legendary local restaurant in Sanur. It’s famous for its single set menu offering traditional Balinese fish soup. It’s a must-try if you’re game for trying out some of the local cuisine of Sanur Beach. This warung (local restaurant) is a short walk north from the Diwangkara Beach Hotel’s beachfront. It's also adjacent the Le Mayeur Museum. You can easily reach it on your morning walk or cycle along the length of the Sanur beach path.
- Bali Hai Sunset Dinner Cruise
- Bathe & Breakfast with the Elephants
- Royal Mengwi Temple, Monkey Forest & Tanah Lot Excursion
- Quad or Buggy Driving Adventure & Tubing Excursion
- Romantic Aristocat Evening Cruise with 5-Course Dinner
- Bali White Water Rafting at Telaga Waja River
- Fast-Track Waterbom Bali Admission
- Lembongan Island Leisure Day Trip
- Private East Coast Tour
- Highlights Of Bali Full-Day Tour
Warung Mak Beng’s Fish Soup
This Balinese bouillabaisse is made up of a hearty cut of fish, slices of white radish, and cucumber. All is then slowly cooked with a braised blend of garlic, shallots, ginger, galangal, turmeric, lemongrass, bay leaf, and lime. A typical serving of Warung Mak Beng usually comes with steamed white rice, a meaty portion of fried tuna or mackerel, and a generous serving of spicy chilli sambal dip on the side. Considering the herbs and spices used to make its stock, it’s a spicy infusion and is served hot. If it’s too much for you to handle, you can choose from the less spicy fried options.
This legendary Sanur restaurant has been in business since 1941. Queues usually get long during lunchtime and don’t be surprised to see people waiting patiently for others before them to finish before being seated. Despite its longstanding success, Mak Beng has managed to retain its humble atmosphere. The heat of the spices is sometimes matched by the temperature; no air conditioners here, only fans and seaside breezes. Even with such simple offerings, this warung continues to attract diners with its cheap prices, clean dining settings and its good Sanur seaside location. You can enjoy the standard serving at IDR 45,000 (USD 3.15).
Warung Mak Beng
- Opening Hours: 08:00 – 22:00
- Location: Jalan Hang Tuah No.45, Sanur Kaja, Sanur
- Tel: +62 (0)361 282 633