The USAT Liberty Shipwreck in Tulamben has drawn divers from the world over to this quiet coastal village in East Bali. This popular dive site is centred around the spectacular remains of the WWII-era US cargo ship. The US ship was sunk after being hit by a Japanese torpedo 19 kilometres southwest of the Lombok Strait in a heated sea battle in 1942. US and Dutch destroyers attempted to tow it to the old Singaraja seaport in North Bali, but to no avail. The ship then beached on the shores here in Tulamben for salvaging.
- Bali Hai Sunset Dinner Cruise
- Bathe & Breakfast with the Elephants
- Royal Mengwi Temple, Monkey Forest & Tanah Lot Excursion
- Quad or Buggy Driving Adventure & Tubing Excursion
- Romantic Aristocat Evening Cruise with 5-Course Dinner
- Bali White Water Rafting at Telaga Waja River
- Fast-Track Waterbom Bali Admission
- Lembongan Island Leisure Day Trip
- Private East Coast Tour
- Highlights Of Bali Full-Day Tour
The USAT Liberty Shipwreck Today
Following the eruption of Mount Agung two decades later in 1963, the wreck got pushed some 25 meters further out until it eventually rested at a depth of 30 meters and eventually became home to colourful coral colonies that teem with tropical fish. Even if you prefer snorkelling in the waters off Tulamben, you can still enjoy the USAT Liberty shipwreck at lower tides. Amongst the coral growths, you can expect regular sightings of parrotfish, cod and even occasional sea turtles.
Some of the great places to stay near the site include the Ocean View Tulamben, Tulamben Wreck Divers, and the Tauch Terminal Resort. Expect the best dive conditions and visibility between August and November.
Best Hotel Nearby - TOYABALI, Tulamben
TOYABALI - Resort
When you stay at TOYABALI - Resort in Tulamben, you'll be near the beach and minutes from USS Liberty Shipwreck and Tulamben Beach.Featured amenities include dry cleaning/laundry services, multilingual staff, and luggage storage.A roundtrip airport shuttle is provided for a surcharge (available on request), and free self parking is available onsite. Read More...
USAT Liberty Shipwreck
- Location: Tulamben, Kubu, Karangasem, East Bali