The Klungkung Palace is a historical landmark in the capital centre of the Klungkung regency in East Bali. Locally referred to as Puri Agung Semarapura or the Royal Palace of Semarapura after the name of the capital, the palace shares the same location as the unmissable and more popular Kerta Gosa ‘hall of justice’ complex, which lies just northeast of the palatial compound.
Also around the complex is the Klungkung regency cultural hall, as well as the Kerta Gosa Museum, all of which make it a one-stop sightseeing spot for visits to Klungkung and East Bali in general.
- Bali Hai Sunset Dinner Cruise
- Bathe & Breakfast with the Elephants
- Royal Mengwi Temple, Monkey Forest & Tanah Lot Excursion
- Quad or Buggy Driving Adventure & Tubing Excursion
- Romantic Aristocat Evening Cruise with 5-Course Dinner
- Bali White Water Rafting at Telaga Waja River
- Fast-Track Waterbom Bali Admission
- Lembongan Island Leisure Day Trip
- Private East Coast Tour
- Highlights Of Bali Full-Day Tour
Highlights of Klungkung Palace
South of the museum, is a palatial gate of the Semarapura Palace (basically what’s physically left of the place after it was razed by the Dutch forces). After your tours of the complex, you can find some retail therapy over souvenirs such as fine ikat weaves at the art market just to the east of Kerta Gosa.
Klungkung Palace dates back to the 17th century and is a silent witness to much of the history of East Bali. This includes the Dutch colonial intervention in 1908, which led to the fall of the kingdom and deaths of most of the royal family who chose to make a last stand against the invading forces. Previously exiled surviving members of the court returned to the newly built palace in 1929.
You can learn about the past and struggles of the court at the nearby museum, which also features an art and antiques gallery. The towering monument of Puputan Klungkung (Klungkung’s suicidal battle) memorialises this bit of local history and overlooks the Kerta Gosa complex just across the road.
- Location: Semarapura, Klungkung, Bali 80761, Indonesia