Kelingking Beach is a hidden beach in the village of Bunga Mekar, on the southwestern coast of Nusa Penida island. You can enjoy one of the most breath-taking views over the hills and small strip of white sand from atop a hill of the same name. The sight features a limestone headland covered in green, against the deep blue waters of the open Indian Ocean. This unique formation is reminiscent of a Tyrannosaurus Rex head, hence its nickname ‘T-Rex Bay’. The secluded beach itself is down a rugged 400m cliffside hike. This is recommended only for the fit and adventurous.
- Bali Hai Sunset Dinner Cruise
- Bathe & Breakfast with the Elephants
- Royal Mengwi Temple, Monkey Forest & Tanah Lot Excursion
- Quad or Buggy Driving Adventure & Tubing Excursion
- Romantic Aristocat Evening Cruise with 5-Course Dinner
- Bali White Water Rafting at Telaga Waja River
- Fast-Track Waterbom Bali Admission
- Lembongan Island Leisure Day Trip
- Private East Coast Tour
- Highlights Of Bali Full-Day Tour
Discovering Kelingking Beach
Enjoying the scenic seascape and taking photos and selfies from above would be sufficient for most. You can enjoy the sweeping views from a purpose-built platform, which is bordered by bamboo fences. If you dare the challenging trek down to the beach, make sure it’s during low tide. Some sections of the path can be steep, requiring a bit of rock climbing, especially on the way back up. Locals have put rocks and bamboos to aid visitors over the years.
Once you’ve reached the sand, you’ll have it all to yourself most of the time. Depending on tide conditions, the waters are swimmable. However, note that the undercurrents can be strong, and being the remote site that it is, there are no lifeguards around. Besides your camera and a good pair of shoes, be sure to bring drinking water with you on the descent, to keep you hydrated. You can combine your visit to Kelingking Beach with a visit to an interesting temple nearby. Pura Paluang Temple is a couple of minutes’ ride east by motorbike, and features shrines in the shape of cars!
- Location: Bunga Mekar Village, Nusa Penida