Kehen Temple is an ancient Hindu temple complex that has unique architectural features. The temple courtyard is reachable from the roadside and up a flight of 38 stairs. Carved sandstone statues depicting mythical animals and Balinese folklore figures adorn the staircases and the central vestibule. The temple’s walls are also ornate with porcelain plates, harking back to the historical relation between the local Balinese kingdom and China.
You can reach Kehen Temple within a 45-minute drive from Ubud. The temple is located in the village of Cempaga, a cool upland region that’s also famous for its local fruit plantations, palm sugar cottage industries and scenic rural countryside. The primaeval aura of this 11th-century temple is further augmented by the overgrowth of centuries-old banyan trees around the walls of the complex.
- Bali Hai Sunset Dinner Cruise
- Bathe & Breakfast with the Elephants
- Royal Mengwi Temple, Monkey Forest & Tanah Lot Excursion
- Quad or Buggy Driving Adventure & Tubing Excursion
- Romantic Aristocat Evening Cruise with 5-Course Dinner
- Bali White Water Rafting at Telaga Waja River
- Fast-Track Waterbom Bali Admission
- Lembongan Island Leisure Day Trip
- Private East Coast Tour
- Highlights Of Bali Full-Day Tour
Interested in this tour? Book it here.
Highlights of Kehen Temple
Within the inner courtyard of Kehen Temple are a collection of stone shrines built with multi-tiered thatched roofs and arranged in a typical layout similar to any other large temple complex in Bali. You can visit the temple in the daytime, and obligatory sashes and waist cloths are available at the rental kiosk across the road (usually with temple ‘donations’).
Best time to visit is when the temple is highly decorated, namely during its temple anniversary, with rare Balinese dances also performed. Kehen Temple's anniversary celebration falls on the same day as the Pagerwesi Wednesday on the 210-day Balinese pawukon calendar.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 9am to 5pm
- Location: Jalan Sriwijaya No.8, Cempaga, Bangli, Bali 80613, Indonesia