Kehen Temple is an ancient Hindu temple complex boasting unique architectural features. The temple courtyard is reachable from ground level up a flight of 38 stairs, with carved sandstone mythical animal and Balinese folklore figure statues around the staircases and the central vestibule. The temple’s walls are also ornate with Chinese porcelain plates, which are a tribute to the historical relations between the local Bali kingdom and China.
You can reach Kehen Temple within a 45 minute transfer from Ubud. The temple is located in the village of Cempaga, a cool upland region in the Bangli regency that is also famous for its local fruit plantations, palm sugar cottage industries and scenic rural countryside. The primeval aura of this 11th century temple is further augmented by the overgrowth of centuries old banyan trees around the walls of the complex.
- Bali Hai Sunset Dinner Cruise
- Bathe & Breakfast with the Elephants
- Royal Mengwi Temple, Monkey Forest & Tanah Lot Excursion
- Quad or Buggy Driving Adventure & Tubing Excursion
- Romantic Aristocat Evening Cruise with 5-Course Dinner
- Bali White Water Rafting at Telaga Waja River
- Fast-Track Waterbom Bali Admission
- Lembongan Island Leisure Day Trip
- Private East Coast Tour
- Highlights Of Bali Full-Day Tour
Interested in this tour? Book it here.
Within the inner courtyard of Kehen Temple are a collection of stone shrines built with multi-tiered thatched roofs and arranged in a typical layout similar to any other large temple complex in Bali. You can visit the temple in the daytime, and obligatory sashes and waist cloths are available at the rental kiosk across the road (usually also with temple ‘donations’). Best time to visit is when the temple is highly decorated, namely during its temple anniversary, with rare Balinese dances also as highlight.
Future Kehen Temple anniversary celebrations (same as ‘Pagerwesi’ Wednesday on the Balinese calendar) are as follows:
- 25 January 2017
- 23 August 2017
- 21 March 2018
- 17 October 2018
- 15 May 2019
- 11 December 2019 (major ‘Ngusaba’ full moon ceremony)
- Opening Hours: 09:00 – 17:00
- Location: Jalan Sriwijaya, Cempaga Village, Bangli Regency, East Bali