Green School is a private school located in central Bali, with a big difference. The school or oftentimes referred to as ‘The Green Campus’ features an ecologically-sustainable design throughout – all structures are made up of locally grown, treated and manufactured bamboo. The brainchild of Bali-based jewellery designer John Hardy, the school showcases over 70 large bamboo structures, including a bridge over the Ayung River valley connecting the school to its main entrance.
Tours are available that enables you to see up close and admire the massive structures, as well as learn about the sustainability projects within. These include renewable energy using a hydroelectric vortex generator and solar cells at specific points around the campus. The main structure, nicknamed ‘The Heart of the School’, serves as centrepiece with its swirling rooftop design over a massive 60m long build on bamboo stilts.
- Quad or Buggy Driving Adventure & Tubing Excursion
- Royal Mengwi Temple, Monkey Forest & Tanah Lot Excursion
- Bali Hai Sunset Dinner Cruise
- Devdan Show: Treasure of the Archipelago at Bali Nusa Dua Theatre
- Lembongan Island Leisure Day Trip
- Elephant Safari Park & Elephant Ride with Spa
- Highlights Of Bali Full-Day Tour
- Sunset Kecak Dance at Uluwatu & Barbecue Seafood Dinner
- Seawalker, Fly Fish Adventure & Underwater Tandem Scooter Ride
- 2-Day Lombok Island Tour
Other highlights include an organic permaculture farm, a ‘living foods’ lab and a bird sanctuary. English speaking tours, led by staff and volunteering teachers, are held from 14:45 on weekdays and 10:30 on the weekends, and start from IDR 160,000 (USD 12) per adult (kids under five are free to join). All proceeds go to the school’s Local Scholars Programme, which supports local students.
Those interested in eco-friendly practices and sustainable architecture should have Green School among their list of must-visits in Bali. It will surely inspire with the wonderful properties of bamboo put into real and beautiful use. Visiting lecturers include great world figures, from Jane Goodall to Philip Zimbardo. It will simply make you feel to want to enrol and go back to elementary grade again.
Green School Bali
- Location: Jalan Raya Sibang Kaja, Banjar Saren, Abiansemal, Badung
- Tel: +62 (0)361 469 875
- Website: https://www.facebook.com/greenschool/