Duta Plaza Bali is one of Denpasar’s longest established modern malls. It opened in 1989 and has become home to the first Matahari Department Store on the island, an Indonesian retail chain of quality fashion labels, beauty products and household items. The names Duta Plaza and Matahari have become somewhat interchangeable, however, locals mostly refer to it by the latter, and simply as ‘Matahari Duta Plaza’. The mall, although relatively upmarket, mostly attracts local shoppers.
The four-storey Duta Plaza is conveniently located at the main junction of Denpasar’s main roads Jalan Dewi Sartika and Jalan Sudirman. Interestingly, Duta Plaza happens to be the only building in central Denpasar boasting a rooftop parking lot. Besides the main department store, which is actually spread over its three levels, this single structure also houses individual brand stores such as a Gramedia Bookstore, a Body Shop, Athlete’s Foot, and various counters offering original perfumes.
- Quad or Buggy Driving Adventure & Tubing Excursion
- Royal Mengwi Temple, Monkey Forest & Tanah Lot Excursion
- Bali Hai Sunset Dinner Cruise
- Devdan Show: Treasure of the Archipelago at Bali Nusa Dua Theatre
- Lembongan Island Leisure Day Trip
- Elephant Safari Park & Elephant Ride with Spa
- Highlights Of Bali Full-Day Tour
- Sunset Kecak Dance at Uluwatu & Barbecue Seafood Dinner
- Seawalker, Fly Fish Adventure & Underwater Tandem Scooter Ride
- 2-Day Lombok Island Tour
Prices at Matahari Duta Plaza tend to be higher than what you will find in other shops in Denpasar, but generally come with better quality and in a huge variety. Therefore, it is easy to spend many hours here, moving from one floor to another, especially if you’re hunting for a specific item among the many. Don’t easily fall for the persistent ‘20% + 10%’ discount labels though, as it's common practice in Indonesia to crank up price tags before such ‘promos’. Still, you can get yourself great prices compared to back home.
The footwear department is one to explore; it occupies quite a large part of the western side of the plaza, with a good assortment for men, ladies and kids. Kids may also find some fun down at the game arcade on the basement level, although some video games are a bit downtrodden. Peculiarly, kids’ fashion items and a toys department akin to Toys R’ Us occupy the topmost floor, together with household, home décor and souvenir items.
Duta Plaza Bali
- Opening Hours: 10:00 – 22:00
- Location: Jalan Dewi Sartika 4G, Denpasar
- Tel: +62 (0)361 225 768